We are in full Christmas recovery mode here in Casa de la Archivist. I was able to finish my fetching mitts, I was pleased and so was the recipient:
Pattern: Fetching from the Summer 2006 knitty.com by Cheryl Niamath
Yarn: Cashmere Luxury Aran, Light Pink 1 skein
Needles: Bamboo US 6 DPNs
Modifications: Nixed the picot bind-off and did a regular one
I can see why these have been the knit of the season. Very quick, very easy...a one skein wonder (or not depending our your gauge, etcetera) and all that. I could see knitting these again, a great way to use those single DB floaters in the stash.
After finishing the fetchingly Fetching mitts, I realized that Little Sir did not have a stocking "hung by the chimney with care" or otherwise. Since I had gone through the trouble of getting him stocking stuffers, it seemed only fitting that I actually have a stocking to stuff them in. So I made him one. The sewing machine, it was a little rusty.
At 3:00 on Christmas morning, it occurred to me that Little Sir can not read, and having a nameless stocking for his first Christmas would not damage him for life, his name will be stitched in next year (actually it will be stitched in by Saturday because that is when Special K has decided we are packing away Christmas...truly wrapping up the holiday. In this instance the "K" stands for Killjoy.
The stocking, specs:
Pattern: Butterick 5783, stocking "c"
Materials: Various and sundry cotton Christmas themed scraps, 1 yard of muslin, and a rotary cutter (you are definitely going to want a rotary cutter), cutting mat
Modifications: I actually just used the stocking outline/pattern, I pieced together a sheet of squares for the front piece instead of one continuous piece of fabric, it just seemed more fun that way.
I liked the way the stocking came out. I think I will probably re-do Special K's stocking (as well as mine) next year, as our stockings were my first ever (rather apparent) sewing project 7 years ago... But that's a project for next December...